Edythe Hall Jarvis of Amesbury, Massachusetts, died May 5, 2012, at Anna Jaques Hospital in Newburyport.

Edythe was born May 1, 1930, and grew up in Fairfield, Connecticut. She attended the Unquowa School until eighth grade, then attended Roger Ludlowe High School for two years. She finished high school at Penn Hall in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, then went to Connecticut College, earning a BA with the class of 1952.

After college, Edythe spent two years in Egypt, working at a museum, and going on archeological digs. Then she returned to Fairfield, and started selling real estate. After twelve years, she started Edythe Jarvis Real Estate, which became a successful firm. She belonged to the Fairfield County Hunt Club, rode in the hunt, and owned a horse named Easy Does It. She was fond of travelling, taking two safaris to East Africa, several trips to Europe, camping trips to Arizona and Canada, and numerous trips to Williamsburg, Virginia, and Newport, Rhode Island. She lived with passion and enthusiasm; one person who knew her said, “I always admired her positivity and zest.”

Edythe (left) with her older sister, Nancy

Around 1968, she bought a house in Southport (part of Fairfield), and lived there until about 2004. She also owned a camp (“Bear Camp”) on Lake George, New York, where she spent time in the summer. Mary Ann Rossi, a college friend, remembers “the golden days at Bear Camp, with the song of the loons at night, canoe trips to quiet places to watch the great blue herons (without making a sound!), and those wonderful meals that Edythe would create on the grill. What appetites we had!”

Edythe sold resort real estate at Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas, and made many trips to the Bahamas. She was fond of snorkeling, and was a certified scuba diver. She was also fond of dogs, and owned several poodles. She took an interest in all sorts of wildlife, donated to various wildlife organizations, and once sat on the board of the Fairfield Audubon.

She retired from real estate around 1986. Around 2004, she moved to a condo in Amesbury, Massachusetts, on the Merrimac River.

Edythe smoked for many years, and died of lung disease.

She is survived by her sister, Nancy Jarvis Hammond, of Groveland, Massachusetts, and by two nieces and two nephews.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Connecticut Audubon Society, 2325 Burr Street, Fairfield, CT 06824.

Edythe (left) with her older sister, Nancy

In Venice, around 1970.
From left to right: Edythe, her niece Jane Hammond, Janet Skelton, Edythe’s mother.


Below is Edythe’s page from the Connecticut College 2002 yearbook: